Thursday, September 21, 2006

The Rock Bottom Remainders


"We play music as well as Metallica writes novels."
--Dave Barry

"Your band's not too bad. It's not too good either. Don't let it get any better, otherwise you'll just be another lousy band."
--Bruce Springsteen

The Rock Bottom Remainders have no record contract, no music videos and no Grammy nominations, but have over 95,000 hits on Google

  • Rock Bottom Remainders

  • Rock Bottom Remainders Wikipedia


  • The band members include Dave Barry, Ridley Pearson, Stephen King, Scott Turow, Amy Tan, James McBride, Mitch Albom, Roy Blount Jr., Barbara Kingsolver, Robert Fulghum, Matt Groening, Kathi Kamen Goldmark, Tad Bartimus, and Greg Iles. Band members collaborated on a book about the band, Mid-Life Confidential.

    "I picked up one of the two guitars I'd been using, and just as we were about to start, Stephen King tapped me on the shoulder and said, 'We have a special guest.' I turned around, and there was Bruce Springsteen. I still don't know how he came to be at this convention; I don't believe he's a bookseller. All I know is, he was picking up the other guitar. My guitar. 'Bruce,' I said to him. 'Do you know the guitar part to Gloria?' This is like asking James Michener if he knows how to write his name." - Barry

    "People are throwing panties at you. They certainly never do that at my book signings." -Matt Groening

    "There's an audience out there, and the key is to kick it in the ass." -Stephen King