Monday, February 18, 2008

The Mask: Red Riding Hood



Illustration by Paul Woofroffe

The Masked Man

By Lynn S.

Who was that masked man who offered relief?
I thought him a hero. He turned out a thief.
I gave him my heart. He took so much more.
He offered me hope, and then closed the door.

He made the right moves. He said the right things.
He said I could fly, and then clipped my wings.
I gave him my trust, and thought he was true.
The mask that he wore, I couldn't see through.

One night the mask slipped. I feared what I saw.
The evil beneath was naked and raw.
His eyes became black, his countenance cold,
Consumed by a rage, unyielding and old.

His cape covered secrets, he turned from the light.
His words became weapons, his arrows of might.
I changed in that moment. I just could not see
How I'd been so blind. Was it after all, me?

Had I been so wrong? Had nothing been real?
But I couldn't have known that he couldn't feel.
Who was that masked man who played on my need?
A liar, a robber, he's Lucifer's seed.

© 2003