Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Storm Flips Semis, Damages Businesses in Southaven

Southaven, Miss. (WHBQ FOX13 myfoxmemphis.com) -- Police are picking up power lines and checking for gas leaks after a storm in Southaven. Police said two warehouses were severely damaged and one of them caught fire. Officials said the debris from the storm stretches about a half mile.

The schools called me yesterday afternoon and said they were closing early because of the weather and I needed to pick the boys up. Both of the schools they go to are out in the Delta which is where the tornados hit first. So I went and got them immediately. We weren't home for very long when I checked the local weather report on my computer. I put my zip code in the box to pull up the report and up it comes, with BIG RED letters that say..."THERE ARE TORNADOS SIGHTED IN YOUR VICINITY SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY". Okay, you can't get much more clear than that can you? Haha so the boys and I spent a couple hours hanging out in my bathroom with our emergency supplies.

It was pretty intense. There was quarter-sized hail, lightning, straight-line winds, tornados, raging all around us. It was as dark as midnight before the sun even set. And the clouds were bruised and purple/red/orange/green looking when it cleared up enough to see them at all. It really brought back child-hood memories from Iowa & Arkansas. But, I don't remember this sort of thing happening at the beginning of February. Yesterday was 75 degrees F and the storms happened because that air met up with some air that was 20 degrees F!

David was stuck at work for awhile. He works really close to a few places that were directly hit by tornados. He said he could hear one go over their warehouse and the whole roof lifted up for a bit and rain started coming into the building!